Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman passes...Colddecked at Shorty's

Today...was a one of those day's that when you wake up and read the news, you just know that this day will suck. I rolled out of bed today to the news that one of my favorite actors...has passed way...R.I.P Paul Newman. I feel that I have to dedicate this blog to the man that is responsible for the quote that adorns this travesty of a blog. "Money won, is twice as sweet as money earned" was spoken by Newman as "Fast Eddie" in the sequel to the "Hustler" in "The Color of Money". As the few of you who read this blog know, I love movies and usually end my blogs with quotes from some of my favorite movies. Lets see...The "Hustler" was more than a classic...it was his best work in my opinion. Then we have "Cool Hand Luke"...Wow..."Nobody can eat fifty eggs"...and possibly one of the most famous quotes of the 60's and 70's , "What we have here....is a failure to communicate". Man this news really sucks!!! and lets move on to Butch and Sundance. Behind "The Outlaw Josey Wales"...That was my favorite Western ever.

Today will be one of those days...were things just don't seem right.

Decided to head out to Shorty's on my drive home Friday night as the last day of the month was Friday, and if any of you have been in Sales before, You know how hectic the last day of the month can be...normally it is CRAZY (Taking a cue out of Monkey's book and Cap'ing words I want to stress). We have a pretty good month overall from the sales perspective and I get to Shorty's and I see the usually crew of "Shortarians"...did I just make up a new word there? I will have to check the scrabble dictionary. I get seated in the must-move game with several known players...and a few I had never seen before. I like it so far.

I am in the 4 seat and there is a husband-wife duo in seat 1 and 6. Cody is in the 7 seat which I am going to try to steer clear off. The rest were divided between strangers and few regulars. I am able to get my stack up to about $340.00 in the 5-5nl game when there are several dynamics that enter the game. There is a several regulars that enter the game such as Mark in the 8 seat and "Teary Eyed" Alan from Tex's blog...both regulars in the games here. I have lots of experience playing with both, and don't have too high regard for neithers game. Both are good for the game in my book. I really like Alan though, and I have bullshitted with him numerous times. He is known for betting his draws and overplaying hands. The last time I was there several weeks ago I called him down with 2nd pair to win a nice pot and I kind of felt he may have gotten a little pissed.

There are 2 hands that I will outline with both of them being somewhat "Colddecked'. I look down at 6h6s in mid-position and TEA raise to $15.00. His range here...from K-2 suited/K-Jo on up. This is somewhat of a common raise at Shorty's. I smooth as do 3 others. The Flop hits AsAh5d...Checkoslovakia all around...Turn 6c. I have boated up. Everyone taps to me and I bet out $20.00 and got 2 callers including TEA. River hits a harmless 3s. TEA fires out a stack of redbirds (Hundo). I go in the tank and re-examine the board, and to TEA's defense here I will say that the cocktail waitress was bringing him his Scotch and Heineken, but he still was paying attention. I decide to smooth for several reason's which one is hoping the other guy might also call. I sit there and TEA is kind of just sitting there too...I decide to turn over my cards and table my sixes when TEA just looked at the cards...and me....then the cards. The dealer says, "Lets go Alan" and the guy to my left says to me, "Damn...why didn't you raise" and then TEA sits up and Says, "What...you think I don't have nothin"...and slams down face up on the felt Ac3d for the suck...re-suck scenario...Nicccceeeee. Exactly what I was afraid of...but the "Slow roll" from hell was just irritating. I don't know why he did it ...but I think that in all actuality, he didn't understand that this is just not good poker etiquette. Maybe he wanted to try to tilt me...Don't know, but I really feel like he was just having fun on a Friday and knew he could, "Have some fun with me" since we knew each other. FWIW ...there were other players there that saw the slow roll the same way I did.

Just so happens that I get felted against TEA also about an hour later after I worked my stack back up to about $140.00 from a low of $75.00. I was starting to catch some cards but TEA was on a roll tonight. He had flopped another boat earlier and was running good. This hand I feel I played sooooo bad I was sick to my stomach. Some may look at how the hand was played and think that the hand plays itself. I look down at QQ from mid-position. There were 3 limpers to TEA and he raises to $20.00...again...I noted his range above. I pop it $60.00 to make it $80.00 to go leaving about $60.00 below fully expecting to get it all in if I had to...He re-pops...I call...he tables AA. The hand seems to play itself and the 2 guys to my left again...showed their limited poker knowledge by saying, "Theirs nothing you could do there"..."The cards beat you"...or did they?

Lets look at the hand more closely and you can see that , yes...most people should stack off there, but I am suppose to be able to think "On the next Level" and not stack off. We get it all in PF ...yes...but the most important variable of the hand was the the flop came out Ace high. Now with this being said, you can see that my play was terrible.
#1)The obvious play was to smooth call the $20.00 raise and let the flop reveal its Ace and the minute TEA tries to bet...ditch it. Very Simple.
#2) The second mistake was popping the pot so much...if I bet 1x to $40.00...and he comes back over the top...I ditch...Although this would have been a little tougher knowing his range.
#3) Calling the re-raise. In almost any setting its common poker strategy to that with QQ...if you re-raise an original raiser...and he comes back over the top all in...He has AA or KK. Which is what I asked him once I called, "What do you have Aces or Kings?"...But I didn't have that much to lose so I was getting a chance to basically double up $140.00 to $280.00(plus limper and blinds)...I already had $80.00 in the middle and was calling suspecting I was a 4 to 1 dog....positive EV??? Would like some comments if you guys have a minute.

I say that I played the hand terrible even though there is some room for analysis. What bothers me is that I would expect 70-80% of the donks out there to stack off here...I am just not suppose too. I also am not upset with Alan either. I don't think that he reads my blog....but in case you are reading this Alan..."Its all good".

Theres only one quote thats appropriate on this blog...Peace out Paul

"Money won, is twice as sweet as money earned" Paul Newman as "Fast Eddie" Felson in "The Color of Money"

7 comments:

complete_donkbag said...

nice blog...one thing on the QQ hand.you are simply being results oriented.
you started the hand with 28bbs(which unless you have major bankroll concerns should never be the case if you are a good player--keep your stack replenished).

Anything other than trying to get it allin preflop is insane.

GeneD said...

Thanks Man...I appreciate the feedback

GeneD

C.S. said...

We've talked this over, but i guess I'm insane, because I'm not getting it all in with Queens every time. I guess cd is making the point that you stack was so short that's your play (not getting it all in with queens--everytime). If that's the case than I see his point.

I think you should raise to thin the field, because a smooth call induces callers behind you and I want to play QQ heads up. If nobody is left to act or you are really in late position, you can smooth if you want.

However, I don't think you need to raise as big as you did, as you suggest in your post. Unless, the table was loose and not giving the re-raises the respect they deserve.

Another variable I'd consider, and I couldn't really figure it out when we talked, if you raise TEA what's his range of coming over the top all in. Is it KKs and AAs or just as wide. At first, when we talked, you sounded like it'd only be a big hand so you can get away. Then it sounded like he'd also fire away with 10s, Js, Ak or AQ. If those hands are in play yeah, you gotta get those chips in. When he has AA or KK you say nice hand and rebuy or head home because you had a small window of time to play in.

Lots of guys, won't make that move with anything but AA, KK or AK. If I got QQ and they are a player like that I'm folding pre-flop when they fire back at me. I'm such a f'ing nit, I'm not going to get my money in bad, without the right price, my stack size regardless. And if I'm short enough, my chips are already in there for him to call with AA or KK to send me on my way.

I also assume you were not reloaded, so to speak, so you were conserving chips (I know time, unfortuantely is a factor in your decisions about reloading or not), so I advocate the raise and fold to a push, unless he's hand range is superwide on pushes. If it is, oh well, you should kiss those chips goodbye every time and hope you catch him with JJ, 10s next time round.

-Wordy Bill

Reid said...

Gene: The QQ hand is all about your stack size. With your stack size, what matters is TEA's 4-bet range not his opening range. That should be your criteria when you're deciding to 3-bet in these situations. All you're doing here is thinking one step ahead. A 3-bet is committing you with your stack (see math below). A 3-bet/fold sequence here is not close to the optimal play, and my opinion is that it is poor to do so.

If he's 4-betting wide enough (TT+, AQs+), then your 3-bet will an easy decision and a profitable play.

With that said, I do agree that your 3-bet size here was correct - you have to get rid of the limpers. Once you make that big raise, you have to call a shove! There's about $140 + $80 + $15 + $10 in there. So $245. You only have $60 left. You're NOW getting the exact correct price to call even if you know for certain he has specifically AA or KK. Now folding would REALLY be horrible.

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

What in the hell is wrong with you A-holes always slowrolling Gened? If I hear one more story of my man Gene getting dissed like that Im coming down there to teach yall some manners. Or better yet Ill call Gomez.

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

Oh yea... R.I.P Paul Newman . Great actor and humanitarian. One hell of a salad dressing too. My favorite Newman flick was Slapstick.

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

How stupid.. I meant Slap Shot