Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Tunica trip doesn't come together...

As quick as a road trip comes together, it can evaporate. I am a little bummed out about not making the trip to Tunica this year in January, but it could be a blessing in disguise. I have been trying to re-build my bankroll recently, and not getting much help from the poker gods. I have been playing small ball poker on the internet, and just trying to see as many hands as I can as fast as I can. I am up to playing 3 tables at a time, but playing for nickels and pennies is tough. I have been trying to play more LL MTT's though which at least I can try to focus more trying to win 1st place. I have also downloaded Bodog, and am checking out the interface. The one thing that I was impressed with was I tried to put money on BD with my card, and it was declined. They have actually tried to contact me to see what they could do to help...even a phone call. I am also thinking of buying a cardrunner/Xfactor account and watching some videos.

We are having the 2nd Dead Money Table in the Houma this Tuesday if anyone would be interested in playing. The last chance table will be Friday in New Orleans, and the final table will be this Saturday. Just got off the phone with Austin Martin as he is on the road home from Tunica right now. He will be coming to New Orleans this weekend also for the annual pokerfest.

I caught the stomach virus that has been going around last week, and it was the most cruel ordeal I have had in a long time. I never get sick, so to be stuck at the house for days with not being able to keep nothing down. Everything that went in my stomach came out 20 min later. It was brutal.

I have been running so bad lately that I have again...started to re-read some of my books, and trying to take stock in my poker knowledge to try to figure out if the variance is torturing me or am I just playing bad. I am an active reader of lots of different forums, and I have read lots of different post from poker players about gambling, variance, playing for a living, debts, bankroll management...etc. I don't have a huge bankroll right now, but at least I don't owe anybody any money from poker debts. I talked about a post from Mark Newhouse about Dustin "Neverwin" Wolf in past blogs. Now, I want to point you guys to a post by a "Humbled" neverwin where he writes about something that I fear more that losing my bankroll. I will post about another topic I have read in a later blog...I think it is also posted on 2+2

http://www.neverwinpoker.com/forums/content/Shooting-Off/47687/My-debts-apoligies-and-some-words-of-wisdom/

"First principles, Clarice. Simplicity. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?" Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecture in "The Silence of the Lambs"

1 comment:

C.S. said...

Good article in cardplayer about slumpbusting. Lots of the usual advice but it advocates doing more of it instead of less (ie play even tighter despite the desire to open it up). Also, remember how many times people get their big hit right on the heels of running dry. Every year at the WSOP somebody is singing that song. Plenty of our friends have done it too. The variance is brutal and can last for months at a time. A player I respect who has always won every time I've sat at a table with him, was just talking about a recent month where he couldn't win a single hand. It's brutal but when the streak is over, you'll be a better player for it.