Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Session at the Belle ...Chat with "Spoonman"

Stopped in at the Belle of Baton Rouge last night on my way to Lafayette. I was able to get in the game pretty fast which is really good there as sometimes there is a wait...BTW...I heard something about they were swapping boats with the Amelia belle...It was just a rumor. Had a somewhat good session. Small win but a win nonetheless. The crappy part is that both of the hands I have to talk about revolve around Quad 8's.

I am in the game for $200.00 when I make a terrible call against Rene Robert. A very good...known player in the Baton Rouge area. I had pocket 9's when Rene and I both called a $15.00 pre-flop raise. Flop hits 7h2c6s. Pre Flop raiser checks and Rene fires out $25.00. I smooth and the PFR folds. Turn brings the Jh. Rene checks here and I knuckle also knowing I should probably have fired here. River brings the 10c. Rene fires out $65.00...and I "choke" up the $65 as he shows 8c9h.

From here I am able to get my stack back up to around $250.00 when I had to move to the main game. On the 7th hand I get Pocket 8's in the BB...6 people limp along with me. Flop comes out 8-8-4. I knuckle...Everyone knuckles all around. Turn brings a 7. I knuckle and everyone knuckles to the Cutoff...he fires out $20.00 (Yea...finally I think). I smooth reluctantly in my best "James Dean" acting mode and we get another caller...SSCCHHHWWWEEEEETTT. River is another 7. I am trying to figure out if that was a good card for me or bad card. I try to trap thinking I am making a huge mistake...I tap. Other guy taps and the Cutoff goes for his chips ...YESSSSSS.. Fires out $70.00. I raise to $140 talking to the guy about "How we must be chopping"...etc. He starts to back away...I now know he is a good player and he will not call with his 7.

2 revolutions of the table later, I call a $15 Pre-Flop Raise with K-Qo. Flop comes out Q-8-8. I make it $15 to go and get 1 caller. Turn brings a 10...I check now and he checks. The river brings another 8. I check the guy bets out $65.00...and I call. He tables 8-7s. I left right after that and cashed out with $365.00 for a small win of $165.00.

What else...oh yea...a shout out to Tom "Spoonman" Witherspoon. Tom sat next to me for about 45 minutes last night...I think I heard 45 Bad Beat Stories. No Seriously...Tom is a good player and we get along. I like Tom's plethora of stories. He actually told me once about the time he got pissed at the dealer at Harrah's several years back. He claimed that the dealer cost him $78.00 in the pot. He said he would stop tipping until he got the money back. Tom was tipping $1 a winning hand back then and I will be damn if he did not wait until he won $78 hands ...and did not tip in all 78...and he resumed his tipping as usually...You gotta love a man with principles

John Phan has scored 2 bracelets this year...I have played with him several times and love his attitude and view of the game. He is go getter...full speed ahead. Pressure...Pressure...Pressure. Usually always has a Cup of Beer near him.

R.I.P to my favorite Comic ...George Carlin. He was a classic and he will be missed.

Thought I was going to make it toShorty's to try and play in the tournament there, but it is pouring down rain right now.

Pulling for Georgia tonight in the finals of the College World Series...GO DAWGS!!!!

"I believe in a long prolonged derangement of the senses to attain the unknown... Although I live in the subconscious, our pale reason hides the infinite from us" Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in "The Doors"

1 comment:

bubble boy said...

what up Gene? boy, that is a good feling to hit quads! I hit quads once in my life, one was name Mandy, one was named Candy, but I can't remeber the other two sisters name,lol

Sounds like you made a nice pot with those eights, you keep blogging about playing cards at Shorty's? What is that?