Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Booked a winner at Shorty's...and other rants

Played at Shorty's this weekend and was able to add a little to the bankroll. There all the same faces as there always is there like Fred, Mitch L and the other "Gene". Sat down with $170.00 and cashed out 3 hours later with $650.00. I was happy with the way that I played and got some cards in some crucial spots. There was one guy I call "Diver Bruce" that I have played with many times. He is a commercial diver. He is a young guy who plays fairly good, but does takes some chance now and then...He was off the hook on Saturday. He went down $1200.00 real early playing some of the worst poker I seen in a while and was able to get pumped back up just playing crazy. Alot of those divers that play there play erratic.

I was able to chip up fairly fast and never was in any danger to lose many chips. I never dipped below a hundo. I played tight the first couple of rounds to see how the play would be. It can be somewhat erratic there at times. Fred starts telling me about how he got his aces cracked at the Beau when someone called him with a flush draw. We started discussing flush draws and the the lunchbox next to me, from Grand Isle of all places, starts chatting, "Yea man...I love flush draws...I have 2 suited cards and the board hits 2 of my suits on the board...I am getting it all in"....YEEEEAAAAAAaaaa ...OK Dude. Needless to say Fred and I look at each other with that "WTF" look and "Islander Boy" gets a big red "Bullseye" on his forehead...It amazes me when you still run into knuckleheads like this...not only will they make that play, but also announce it to the whole table...Yeeeaaaaaa.

An hour into the session I am in the SB with about $130.00 when the other "Gene" makes it $20.00 to go from mid-P after several limpers and there are several callers to me when I glance down at A-Jh. I smooth and Fred joins also...We see the flop 6 handed. Flop hits 2h6c7d. I knuckle as did everyone else. Turn brings us the Jd. I do the math and shove in the rest of my chips and Fred goes in the tank. I immediately start asking him, "You got that flush draw don't you" and he answers, "Yea...we were just talking about it He eventually says, "Oh well, I will let you have it" and he flashes me and Islander Boy the Kd10d. I drag the pot after everyone else pitches and we get to listen again to Islander Boy rant about how he would have instacalled and how he loves Flush draws...etc. Gotta love it

lets see...I also won a pretty big pot with Kings at one point and then got in 2 hands with Mr. Mitch L. where I hit some hands and check called him down. Mr. Mitch and I have some family history as he lived across the street from me as I was growing up in Broadmoor. He and my Dad coached the baseball teams together, and we would laugh as my Dad's patented bunt signal was standing in the third base coaches box and rattling his change in his pocket. Funny thing was anyone who ever watched the games also knew that was the bunt signal. In one hand I called and preflop raise with 3 callers with KdJd and turned a flush after calling Mr. Mitch's C-Bet of $35.00 on a 2 diamond board. The other was a somewhat cooler as I came in from the SB with 5 limpers with J-8 and the board hits J-7-8. I checked called Mr. Mitch all the way down and even hesitated when the straight possibility got there on the river when he bet out $50.00...but I called...He tabled 8-7 for the lower 2 pair.

What else is happening...Lets hit some highlights from the hours and hours of Ipod stuff I listened to on the way home last week. I am almost caught up on all my poker material I downloaded.

--Tiffany Michelle vs. Pokernews...I am firmly behind PN and TonyG on this one. She would have never even been in the main event it if it weren't for TonyG. I personally would have never made a move in this situation without consulting with my backers first. Look like this "friend" of hers that is desperately trying to become an "Agent" screwed her royally. Bill and I kind of disagreed on this but I just feel her loyalty should have been to her backers. If she cut a deal with UB, then she should have worn gear/patches over/on her Pokernews clothes...not the other way around. She should have first and foremost represented PN...and UB???...of all the sites to mess with...UB????...I guess she can pick up her check at Russ Hamilton's house.

--Gavin Smith has taken a prop bet to stop drinking for several months. OK...I know that there alot of people who are happy at this as it seems that he was even more of a "Lush" this WSOP. They even had to "Accidentally" lose a whole episode of PRRadio when he showed up shitfaced after an allnighter...They lost the episode...yea right...I guess its coincidental that they mysteriously found the interview with Blair Hinkle from that same show. Don't get me wrong, I love the show and Gavin ...but come on guys??? Also...who is living with "Ole G-Smith" 24/7. I know lots of people who claim to stop drinking in this fashion, but pour themselves a nice...stiff cocktail before bed when nobody is looking. I am not saying that he is "Sneaking" drinks...I am just saying that it happens...thats all. I am also not the "Pot calling the kettle" black here as most of you know I also drink my fair share of alcohol. Maybe me and G-Smith can tip one back together once this bet is finished...I would like that

--Phil "The Unabomber" Laak and his Main Event disguise...I thought this was pretty cool. It would have been funny if he could have accumulated some chips. Just think, you are bagging up your chips at the end of Day 1 while on the phone with your buddy discussing your table. You tell him about this old skezzer at your table that has the table chip lead, but you never seen him before and viola...on Day2 you come back to the same table and see a grey hoodie sitting there with some Elvis sunglasses on behind the large stack...and then he breaks down and starts doing push-ups...would be pretty cool.

More to come

"Looks like I chose the wrong day to quit snorting hash" Adam Goldberg as Denny in "Deja Vue"

No comments: