Saturday, August 02, 2008

One week down...one to go

I been playing as often as I can lately, and doing pretty good. I played every night this week as I had the room at Harrah's until Thursday. I had to got to Baton Rouge on Thursday, and I was back there on Friday night. Booked a couple of winners and pushed last night. I got to play with Davey and Parfait on Wednesday, and they got to see me suck out on a questionable play to double up to over $600.00.

I make it $25.00 to go from late position with QQ and get 5 or 6 callers...Damn. Flop comes out J-8-9 and the guy in the 3 seat that that has me covered and has been playing very erratic and poorly all night bets out $30.00 and then 2 people call around to me and I ship in the rest of my chips. Everybody folds and the seat 3 goes in the tank for a few seconds and then he calls and then ask, "You have a set of Jacks?"...I say no, and we both kept our cards hidden, and the dealer hits a Jack on the turn and the guys face turns into pain and pissed off...river bricks and he say, "Go ahead...show me your over pair"...I table my Queens and he mucks. I stack up the chips and we all start chatting about how that hand went down. The guys never said anything, but we came to the conclusion from his verbiage that he must have had 2 pair...like J-8 or J-9...but probably he had 8-9 since he asked me about the Jacks. I shipped my stack in as 60-40 dog and sucked out, but I also had the fold equity which is crucial here. I don't necessarily like his play there. First calling $25.00 pre-flop raise with something like 9-8...and then calling another $250.00 after only putting $45.00 in the pot with 2 pair? I don't know if I like that call. I think my play is a standard play there. I should have bet more on the flop to get out the weaker hands, but I don't know if any of these people would have folded if I bet $50...or $100.
Oh well...Live and learn.

Plan on hitting Shorty's Sunday and as many times this week as possible...maybe even hit Lake Charles one night.

I thought the post by Monkey was pretty interesting when he talked about the guy bringing him up to the hotel room and showing him the computer where you could see everyone's cards. I mean it has now been proven that this has happened...all of us at some point got called when we thought for sure that that person could see our cards. How do we know that some of these online whiz kids have not got some sort of program and used it. I have a feeling we may see some more "Big Names" exposed soon...not just Russ Hamilton...but some of these known Internet kids

-We are getting tons of people hitting the site recently, and we are getting e-mails from all around the gulf coast....from Tampa, FL to Corpus Cristi, TX. Let us know you are out there with an e-mail and tell all your friends about the site.

-Just got off the phone with my wife Julie who was 1 seat behind Eric Sieldel on a flight from Vega to New York today...She said he didn't say anything to anybody the whole time...typical Eric Siedel.

-Bill is off on vacation in Pensacola...I hear I missed one hell of a bachelor party...Word on the street is he now has a "Wedding Planner"...that is actually good so he can stay off tilt every time the price of the wedding bumps up 5%. I can see him getting popped a couple of more times with raises before this thing is all over with... ;-)

"If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love" Patrick Swayze as Bodhi in "Point Break"

5 comments:

Southpawrounder said...

Ok Gene, For being the one in the hand I do not understand how you will blog about it w/ not remembering how it played out!
First yes the guy was playing eratic, but he never got out of line making big bets unless he had a hand. Onto the hand. You said you didn't like his play. Sorry but if you ever fold 89 in a 6 way pot preflop for 25 you need to be kicked in the head. Second, You said he bet out like $30. He didn't, it was $70 and then you push for $300 which is $270 back to him. First off, I hate that bet w/ QQ b/c you are likely only to get called when you are beat. What hand can he call w/ that you beat. He likely folds a jack but calls w/ 2 pair, straights and sets. And likely just a 10 considering the pot you created for him. The only way you have fold equity is if he has a bad jack or absolutely nothing. $25 6 ways, He puts in $70 and you throw $300 into the mix. It cost him $230 to win roughly $525. Not sure that he is folding much hands here especially if he is eratic as you labeled him.
You also say you should have bet more on the flop which makes no sense to me as he bet out $70 making impossible for you to bet out weaker hands.
I am not saying I think it is always terrible to push w/ QQ on the flop, but someone is likely to flop a hand on a 89j board when you take flop 6 handed. And when someone bets out $70 I think it is safe to assume that he might be the one that did hit it. I just think that always pushing to "taking down there" is crazy b/c you are overbetting the pot wiht the hope that you weren't outflopped. Remember also that it isn't a tournament where people aren't as protective of there chips.
Anyway. Glad the hand worked out for you eventhough I didn't agree entirely w/ the method.

Southpawrounder said...

$230 back to him not $270 sorry bout that.

Reid said...

Gene - This is a pretty interesting hand. It's a tricky spot. I mostly agree with what southpaw said. In a vacuum, I don't mind shoving QQ here, but this is a very very very player-dependent spot. There are so many hand combinations that hit this flop.

Specifically, is this guy routinely leading here with any T or any J multi-way on the flop? If he's been pretty LAG, his lead really looks like JT right? Do you think he lays that hand down to a shove? Have you seen him bet his draws before? If so, what was the bet sizing like? If he flopped the nuts or T7, is he more likely to lead into the field or check-raise? If you just call, will he fire the second barrel on a draw or will he slow down? Does he think you're capable of over-shoving a draw on this flop? If so, he probably won't lay down bottom two pair (which is what he had to have, since the turn J fills him up if he had J8 or J9). Generally, I'd be more inclined to shove over a nit as opposed to a LAG or any random dude who might be wanting to gamble it up.

It's tough to fold an overpair on this flop b/c you may have the best hand now, but the board is likely getting worse. I normally don't like just calling but it's probably better to see the turn and reassess here. If a T hits, you have the virtual nuts vs. a likely top two pair. I think this is an ideal spot for you to use your position and practice some pot control by just calling. If your hand doesn't improve and he fires the 2nd barrel, I think it's a much easier fold at that point than it is on the flop.

And puhleeeeeze, don't tell this dude you don't have JJJ!!! Representing JJJ comprises a significant part of the equity in your shove. And the way the hand was played, it really does look like 3 jacks. So let him believe it and lay down his better hand!

Glad you scooped the pot regardless! Catch up with you soon.

GeneD said...

Thanks for the clarification on the hand...I have been playing for 5 or 6 days straight...maybe a couple of thousand hands...I guess I need to carry around one of those voice recorders like Gus Hansen did. I don't think that the difference between $30 and $70 makes much difference in my blog about the hand...but I was wrong in not being more specific

Ok...so back to the hand...lets assume I play it diffently. Am I suppose to fold to a $70.00 bet there? I think not. So I call the $70.00 and the Jack hits on the turn...I now have 2 pair. The winning hand. What happens now...?? He gets to get away from the hand on my bet and not stack off to me like he did.

I don't call 10xBB raises with 8-9. I guess I play tooooo tight...I need to open up my game more....BTW...I have been kicked in the head...many times ;-)

Thanks for the comments...I like your analysis...I am always trying to learn as I admitted in my blog that I made a bad play... and sucked out.

Peace out
GeneD

GeneD said...

Thanks for the comments Reid...I also agree with SPR on the hand analysis...Also...You are right about the boat there...Obvioulsy the guy had 8-9 as the Jack on the turn would have boated him up if he had J-8 or J-9.