Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Back from the IP

I just got back for a week of playing at the IP in Biloxi for the "IP Poker Classic". Again...it was a good run for me. It seems I always do well at the IP. The tournaments were run well, and the crew was just as hospitable as last time. Ronnie and his crew did a great job. The only down side was there was not as many people as last time, and the Beau Rivage tried to compete having a 6:00pm tournament in parallel with the IP's second chance tournament. They had some great giveaways for the super bowl also.

I cashed 3 times in the week.
Boomtown's weekly. $65.00 buy in with 24 players. I got 6th for $160.00
IP's second chance. $200.00 buy in with 68 players. I got 4th for $900.00
Beau Rivage's 6:00pm. $200.00 buy in with 84 players. I got 8th for $580.00

I also ran good in the cash games. I had one huge Bad Beat that I will outline a little later, and then I made a terrible call with pocket kings that cost me an extra $300.00. I did well overall for the entire week in the cash games.

Kudos goes out to the other people from Houma who cashed in the tourneys. LJ Naquin took first place in the Saturday $1000.00 buy in, and David "Davey" Bourg took 3rd for over $3000.00 to go along with his other cash which I think was 5th. Way to go Davey!!!.
Barron Whipple also cashed in several tournaments over the weekend. He got 3rd in the one I got 8th in.

Now for the bad beat (I hate BB stories, but I have to give you something). I started with $350.00 in a 1-2 NL game, and I got my stack up to about $650.00. I am in the 10th seat and the button is in the 4th seat. Everyone folds around to me, and of course, I look down at Aces. I make it $35.00 to go. Seat one I will call "Knucklehead" raises to $75.00. I re-raise it to $150.00, and knucklehead ships in his whole stack. He has exactly $35.00 more that I have which means he shipped in close to $500.00. I show the aces and he says "Oh man, I am dead".
He does not show his hand. A king comes on the flop which makes me think I may be beat with pocket kings. Turn card comes a brick, and he again proclaims "I'm done". A jack hits the river and he says..."Oh no...I got 2 pair" and turns up K-J off suit. There was stunned silence at the table as everyone realizes the stupidity of what he did and we witnessed. I take off my headphones and he apologizes profusely. He comes shake my hand and apologizes again. I say "It happens" and I walk away. sick...so sick.

"So...I guess this is where I tell you what I learned my conclusion...right...well my conclusion is...
Hate is baggage...life is too short to be pissed off all the time...its just not worth it"
Edward Furlongs Character Danny in "American History X"




No comments: