Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Boomtown Tourney Sat...and the GCP "Den" for the Gulf Coast Poker Championship

I played in the Saturday morning tournament at Boomtown last Sat, and I made it to the last 3 tables. There were 63 people in the tournament, and I wish I would have done some more research as I did not know that there were "NO" antes. I would have played the tournament totally different if I had known that there were no antes.

I lost half my stating stack of $5000.00 on the following hand midway through the 3rd round. Blinds were at $150/300 when the following hand came down. I called a $600 raise from middle position with KcJc, and the flop came out Jh3d7s. I bet out $400.00 and the guy 2 to my left made it $600.00 to go. I called. Turn brought the Kh. I bet out $600.00, and older gentleman goes in the tank and smooth calls. River brings a 3c...we both check and he shows down AsKd for 2 pair with the ace kicker. I had his ass until the river...oh well...it happens.

I struggled to get back even, and then I won a big pot to get back into it. I made a move to try to steal the blinds, and this lady on my right who was as tight as can be, woke up with pocket Jacks and I got snapped off.

We got a confirmation of the GCP.net Poker Den during the GCP Championship. We will have a sweet place to stay, and you guys may be seeing more about it on the site http://www.gulfcoastpoker.net/. We are negotiating swapping some advertising for rate we are getting.
It all comes down to sealing the deal with the Real Estate people. I love working with sales people ;-). Its all about closing the deal. Hopefully on of our players will be closing the deal on the WPT.

"These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you would be throwing them away. They're for closers"
Alec Baldwin's character Blake in "Glengarry Glen Ross"

3 comments:

Bad Beet said...

I am more of a five card stud player but im pretty sure you got robbed on that hand gened. You had two pair Kings and Jacks. The opponent had Kings and Threes with A kicker that doesnt do shit for him. Why do antes make a rats ass difference on how you play, i mean you played waiting for the antes to come around later and when they didnt come your like where are the antes so you could steal them? Im confused son. What would have changed your outcome.

GeneD said...

Wow...You now have me racking my brain. At first I thought I may have posted the hand wrong, but after re-thinking the situation...I may have been robbed by a bad ruling and I did not catch it. I saw this happen twice in the tournament on hands that I was not involved in...Oh well...it was not the hand that did me in...

GeneD said...

To answer you question, I would have played tighter accross the board as you are in less danger of being blinded out with no antes. All you would need to do is win 1 pot every 2-3 rounds to stay were you needed to be...and yes...once the antes start...I like to try to steal them with aggression.