Sunday, August 26, 2007

Finally...In the money in Tunica tourney

Decided to play in the $60.00 buy in tournament with $500.00 added at Sam's Town at 6:00pm, and I showed up just in time to get in as I had to work late at the office. I was able to win a couple of pots early, and decided to go to my room to get out of my work clothes and into something a little more comfortable. Touched base with Jonny ans Sam before I headed up to the room, and they were both doing OK in chips also. When I got back to the game, I got the typical hassling that comes along with coming back to the table..."Damn, he had to go to the phone booth and get in his superman outfit"...and "The transformation from a desk to the poker table"...etc. Oh well...It was all in good fun.

I think they had 5 tables, so there somewhere in between 40-50 players, and I was able to keep my stack healthy until we got down to 2 tables. I am in the top 5 in chips when I get in the following hand. I was in the BB with AhJh when I see that 3 medium stacks all jam in front of me. I counted out my chips, and I was getting 3-1 on my money. Even if I lost the hand, I would still have enough chips to fight with. Two hearts hit the flop, and on the turn appeared the sweet 3h. I rake the hug pot to put me as one of the chip leaders. I took a major hit when we were 7 handed where I lost a race with Big slick against pocket 7's. I went in to the clock mode now and only played premium hands and just sat tight as I worked the clock and my position. The blinds were raised twice on my button, and none of the players could see what I was doing. I took the blinds and antes in position both times. I think the dealer caught what I was doing as he kept seeing me glance at the clock when I was in "acting mode". We had 3 people left including me.

One was an older women who was a tourist from Florida. He husband was watching from the rail. They were cheering and carrying on...no worries. There was a older fellow that was nervous and fumbled with his chips alot. He was not a threat also. Then there was a young kid from Memphis that I think was just getting started playing seriously. I heard him talking earlier about cashing in the tournament there Monday. He was the chips leader, and the only one I was worried about.

The dealers starts making comments and whispering to the TD standing behind watching when I would go in the tank to work the clock. When the clock expired and I was again on the button, they started talking chop. I sat quietly while they did the math and so on, and It came out to $400.00 each on a straight split, but the newbie kid with the chip lead wanted to split per chip count. I would then get around $300.00. They all look at me and I shake my head no. I am not gonna say that I was not thinking about the past blogs here where I took some heat about chopping pots because I was. I was prepared to play it out and I think I could have won.

I stood up and said, "No offense to anyone here, but I think I am the best player at this table. I am confident in my heads up game, and I think I can win"..."If you guys want to chop I will go 4 ways even...but I am not taking a smaller cut". They huddled and agreed. I was sort of hoping they wouldn't so I would not have to write this in the blog and again take heat for chopping. I did what I think was best for my bankroll.

Getting pumped for Biloxi next week...

"Things go wrong. The odds catch up. Probability is like gravity: you cannot negotiate with gravity. One day... one day you should just cash out, you know? Just cash out and get out" Colin Farrell's character Sonny Crockett in "Miami Vice"

8 comments:

bubble boy said...

nice cash GeneD, one day there might not be a chop and we might find out if you really do have a good heads-up game, but since you started this blog i don't think i have heard one story about you actually playing heads up. But hell if you tell other people that your heads up game is strong and they fall for it i am all for it

Unknown said...

Nice cash.
Glad to see ya swinging again. I have not played any live tourneys of late. Miss um....LOL but cash has been ok.
I had a nice 3 hours at the belle in Amelia Friday night up 659 on there 2-5 NL and home for midnight. Got to love the location if there were just a little more tables playing.

GeneD said...

Jonny...welcome back brother. I thought you may have dropped my blog. I check yours often. Yea...Call it bluff if you will.Notice this time I was sure to say "I am Confident in my heads-up game" instead of just announcing that "My heads-up game is strong". Are you coming to Biloxi?

Bad Beet said...

Do you think they huddled to discuss if you really were the best player at the table or maybe they just agreed to chop even so you couldnt "work the clock" again?

GeneD said...

bad beet...working the clock is part of tournament strategy. If you play in tournaments and do not work the clock, then that is on you and your bankroll.

Peace brother,
Gene

Bad Beet said...

I can see stalling in certain situations like when small stacks are in danger, but if your telling me your doing this clock thing the whole tournament you better hope you never sit at a table with me. You say this is tournament strategy, id like to know if you ever heard this mentioned in any poker books or are you the innovator of this move. Why not try and work the chips instead. hell if you really can control the clock that well how are you paying attention to what else is going on at the table? You probably missing some good shit or i guess your just that talented. Players must get really aggravated with you if you got all this drama evrtime you got a hand. Thanks for the tip though. Next time a slow player is at my table I might be quick to put my foot up his ass cause i will know he is jacking around.

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

Hello all, good to see the blog still going strong gened. Looks like your still not getting the respect you deserve, what ya going to do ? Playa haters.

Been busy as I fell in love with a girl I met at the Tarpon Rodeo. thought she was the love of my life as it turned out she was just a whore. I just dont seem to have the luck with finding a good woman . But I guess I get what im asking for when I require a mate to be into anal, threeways, and other perversions. Since i cleared this last bloodtest with flying colors I made a commitment to myself to become celebate and focus on my career and poker. i even looked into castration methods (clinically safe in asia performed by surgeons) But i figured that would take my ambition and drive away. Maybe all i need is to have that special someone that can tell me I am worthy and the fucking champion at poker.

I plan on being there gents for the WPT in Biloxi. Probably get there Sat. Gomez is working on our rooming. So we need to hook up and throw a shrimp on the barbie , just no whores for me please as my cock is retired.

GeneD said...

Guys...call George at the link on our site...be sure to tell him I sent you...the condo's are awesome. Plama TV's, all marble...they will be going for twice this much 2 years from now