Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Winning weekend at Shroty's...I guess

I pulled a couple of sessions at Shorty's last weekend and busted out 2 wins. Nothing big, but wins none the less. I got in the game Friday night with $300.00...went all the way down to $60.00...and cashed out with $675.00. It all happened pretty quick too. I am slowly chipping back up and got my stack to about $80.00 when I triple up with pocket Queens against pocket 10's and a KJo. 2 hands later I double thru when I flopped a set of 5's against Doc's bullets and we get it all in on post-flop. It is amazing how quickly things can turn around for you in certain situations.

I went back on Memorial Day to play and they had the usual suspects...Frenchy, Doc, Devin and Johnny. On a non-poker topic, I want to say speedy recovery to a local poker player that was in a terrible car accident, and He was in the hospital in intensive care for weeks. His name is Vinny and we call him "Houma Vinny" or "Flattop Vinny" as he wears his helmet in a military style high and tight, and he is from Houma...anyone who plays poker in Southeast has probably played with him before. Great guy...solid player...get back to the felt soon Vinny!!!!

So on this session, I show up and there is one seat open, sweet. As anyone who plays at Shorty's can tell you, sometimes the games can be "Hit or Miss" as some times the games is full with a list, it breaks up too early and sometimes, there no game at all. I always call first and would suggest you do too. I personally think that they could get more NL games more often if they would advertise on GCP.net...(Hint Hint...wink wink ...Ken Foreman)...but I digress. So, I call before I go to make sure they had a game on Memorial Day...they do...there is an open seat.
Ken tells me, "GeneD...its a 5-10 game today"...What??? I look at the suspects...5-10??. Normally it is 5-5. I get $400 and head to the table, and it is just as I thought...there was an average of $400 per person on the table. I sit down and start asking who wanted to play 5-10, and they all started saying "The Table" wanted to. Everyone starts to kind of gang up on me thinking I am trying to "question" their poker wisdom. I start to explain to all these old guys about # of BB's per your opening stack, standard Starting stacks per the BB's ...and I see it in their eyes that I could just as well be explaining quantum physics or how to split the atom...I give up mid sentence. I eventually just explain that it is my fault, I should have asked when I called...lets play some poker. I play good ...solid poker and cash out with $630 a couple of hours later.

Last Tuesday, I made my monthly pilgrimage to the Belle Of Baton Rouge. There were several of my friends there. Of course Dana was dealing and Clint Shafer was there...Cigar Mike...the regulars. They open a game 5 minutes after I get there....sweet!!! ....NOT!!! I played terrible. Made 2 terrible calls, and moved in with 2 pair on a board of KhQd10d against this tight women with a busted shoulder. I had Qd10s...she goes in tank and ask me, "What...you got a flush draw" Damn...I knew I was in trouble. I now have her on K-10 or K-Q. Maybe she will be spooked and think I flopped a set...no can do. She calls and tables KdQs...she even had my diamond re-draw busted.

I have been playing on Stars alot trying to get my online bankroll up to try to shoot for some WSOP satellites. I am planning on playing in the $370 super on the 15th. They are guaranteeing 200 seats in the Main Event, and last year I think they gave away something like 267 seats. I have been doing OK...I guess. Stll lots of beats though. I played last night in a $12 sng with 180 ppl. Results below:

PokerStars Tournament #90445423, No Limit Hold'em Buy-In: $11.00/$1.00
180 players Total Prize Pool: $1980.00 Tournament started - 2008/06/01 - 00:58:49 (ET)Tournament finished - 2008/06/01 - 02:47:46 (ET)
1: modaddy (San Jose), $594.00 (30%)
2: GCPGeneD (Houma), $396.00 (20%)
3: heino80 (Bexbach), $235.62 (11.90%)
4: Serdar A. (Chesterfield), $158.40 (8%)
5: wolop (Penticton), $128.70 (6.50%)
6: natecfc1 (Plymouth uk), $99.00 (5%)
7: NastyNateBR (Brighton), $69.30 (3.50%)
8: poisonivey99 (Dallas), $51.48 (2.60%)
9: fuzieduck (Calgary), $33.66 (1.70%)
10: mikeyb101 (Brownsville), $23.76 (1.20

Sweet...I now have my buy-in for the super mega on the 15th
Below is some of the hands Ive been getting plowed on

PokerStars Game #17834423578: Tournament #90445423, $11+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level XXI (4000/8000) - 2008/06/01 - 02:48:03 (ET)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to GCPGeneD [Ks Qd]
modaddy: raises 219916 to 227916 and is all-in
GCPGeneD: calls 32484 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (187432) returned to modaddy
*** FLOP *** [5c 6h 8d]
*** TURN *** [5c 6h 8d] [Ad]
*** RIVER *** [5c 6h 8d Ad] [3c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
GCPGeneD: shows [Ks Qd] (high card Ace)
modaddy: shows [8s Kh] (a pair of Eights)modaddy collected 82568 from pot

PokerStars Game #17764899210: Tournament #90084784, $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2008/05/28 - 23:43:08
(ET)Table '90084784 1' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to GCPGeneD [Jc Js]
*** FLOP *** [Ks 2h 9s]
*** TURN *** [Ks 2h 9s] [8s]
*** RIVER *** [Ks 2h 9s 8s] [6s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Clay Bentley: shows [As 3c] (a flush, Ace high)
GCPGeneD: shows [Jc Js] (a flush, King high)
Clay Bentley collected 1505 from pot

I also want to say good luck to Monkey, Claudia and Gabe as I heard they are sharing a house in Vegas during the WSOP.

"Discovering the object of the game *is* the object of the game" Daniel Shoor as himself in "The Game"

3 comments:

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

That was some riveting video at the final table GeneD. All I learned from that was that "Poker is so easy a caveman can do it." Am I wrong or does that guy look a little prehistoric? Im sure hes great and yada yada but the sloppiness is killing me . At least trim the beard a little isnt this gonna be on tv? im really thinking of creating a makeover business for all these sucessful poker players that look like hobos.
One more thing that is troubling me. You need to post more Gene and drop these part time johnny come lately bloggers. I mean I was so bored on here the other night I read one of your bloggers lengthy breakdown of his 3-6 limit session
. Are u kidding me? Id rather watch internet checkers while soaking my balls in paint thinner.

"I had such a crush on her. Until I met you Lois. You're my silver medal." Peter Griffin - Family Guy

bubble boy said...

what up fellas, what is going on? haven't been around lately and had actually forgot about this blog until i stumbled on to it by way of my old laptop. I start to read a few blogs and say to myself " what the hell is this crap"? come gened get back to the good shit? it looks like in the past year your blog has someone went down the drain? is your desire to be the best poker player left you? have u lost your drive? the best thing i read in your blog was that my buddy from the past soaks his balls in paint thinner? now that is good. how are you old boy stacks? or should i say old man? you for got my number? when you said you would keep in touch, you must have been feeding me a line of bullshit? so where are you located at now? u still living in oklahoma? give me a hollar if you still got my number.

" id rather watch internet checkers while soaking my balls in paint thinner"--CaptainStacks "king of cash"

GeneD said...

Guys

WELCOME BACK!!!!!
I have been trying to get in touch with both of you guys for the past year.

E-mail me your phone numbers and I will call both of you...gened@gulfcoastpoker.net...I have friends that think you guys don't exist...You guys are the coolest...I have to meet you guys and drink some cold ones...somewhere...somehow

GeneD