Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Win at Shortys...tough night at Harrah's ...and Love's Beef Jerky

I got to play back at Shorty's last Friday night and picked up a small win. The game was not as lively as it usually is, but I was able to book a winner none the less. There changed things a little there which I thought was a little strange, and several of the other players agreed. They claimed they had a "New No-Limit Game". With the action that comes from around Lafayette and New Iberia, I thought for sure it would be a 5-10 or 10-20 game or some variation of a higher stakes game. The normal blinds in the NL game there is $5 sb and $5 bb. This new game had the same exact blinds, but you could buy into the game with as much as you want. Hmmm...lets see. Usually when I play there you usually have about 6 or 7 of the players with several grand in front of them, the table was full of regulars and the juicier players are the rich ones with the most money and want to buy in for more, the blinds are the same...Yea...where do I sign up? Sorry about the sarcasm Ken and team it's just that it is basically...the same game ;-).

I had a tough night at Harrah's last night in the 1-2nl game. Bill had a nice score though. I went $600.00 deep at one time, and was able to fight back at 4:30am to cash out at $370 for a net loss of $230. It was a brutal night and I had to struggle for hours to get that back. What is really discouraging is the time rake at Harrah's. I don't want to get started on it, but I played from 7:00pm til 4:30am for a total of 9 1/2 hours...at $12.00 an hour I donated over $100.00 to the rake...Damn that hurts when I think about it. The one hand I want to talk about happened with one of our friends and fellow player from Houma who is a great guy. His name is Chris Summerral and his nickname is "Shrek". I have been playing with Chris for years going back to when there was a nice Bar tournaments in Houma every night of the week, and I have had several conversations about flopped sets. Chris had said to me numerous times, "I flop a set and you have a better hand...you are going to get all my money". Well...I had about $300.00 and I think Chris had about $160.00 when the following hand came up. I make it $30.00 with pocket Queens to go pre-flop and Chris is the only one that calls. The flop comes out 8c7d2s. Sweet flop for me. I now go in the tank and start to think. I don't want to get in a big hand with Chris because I like him and I don't want his money. We can stay in Houma if we want to take each others money. Well...I decide to check and he fires $40.00 at me. Damn...again...I don;t want to play a big hand with him so i decide to "Ship It" to let him know I have a big hand...What do you know...he insta-calls and tables pocket 7's for a flopped set of sevens. I double him up. It was a good hand and I am glad it was to a friend. That was a little taste of how my night went though. I also ran ...a King high flush into the Ace high nuts, AcQs into AhKh with an Ace hitting on the turn, and Pocket Jacks into a set of 10's where he hit his third 10 on the river after calling solid bets on all streets to get there...again...I feel like I posted a win...well how about a "Good Loss". How you like that for a Oxymoron..."Good...Loss"

I was getting out of the elevator at Harrah's and I had a weird experience. This is not meant to promote any products or anything, but Beef Jerky is a main staple for most poker players I know. I think the best beef jerky you can buy is made from Robertson's in Oklahoma and you can buy it at all Love's Truck stops. If any of you like beef jerky then pull over at a Love's Truck Stop next time you are on the road, and you will see that it rules. Well, during the WPT event in Biloxi at the Beau, Bill and I got in an elevator and I was eating a piece and the dude says, "Wow man...that's Love's Beef Jerky isn't it?" , "That shit rules. Well Bill and I got a kick out of it as I did not think that someone would recognize a piece of dried beef hanging out of my mouth...what do you know...the same thing happened last night in the elevator in the Harrah's parking garage...surreal. If your intrested...www.beefjerkynow.com.

Bill and I have a huge meeting about the site next week in New Orleans. You will see some big things coming up soon from http://www.gulfcoastpoker.net/. We have the deal with the apparel almost done as we are waiting on the gear, and we have so much traffic, the hosting company has upgraded our monthly fees as the downloads are tripling his other clients. Come back and see us ...we are pumped!!!

Peace

"From women's eyes this doctrine I derive, they sparkle still the right promethean fire. They are the books, the arts, the academies that show, contain and nourish all the world" Gabriel Macht's Character Frank James in "American Outlaw"

No comments: