Sunday, April 27, 2008

A couple of good sessions...Mind F*%#@ed at the Hard Rock

I am in Biloxi fixing to go play in the $130.00 Sunday buy-in at the Beau Rivage. Julie and I decided to make a weekend trip out of town since she was off. We loaded up the bikes on the Jeep and headed to the coast. The weather isn't all that great, but we are enjoying the getaway...and I get to play some poker.

My session at Harrah's Friday went real well and I was able to book a modest win. I got in the 1-2 nl game for $200.00 and cashed out at $580.00. The cool part was GaryA and I got to sit next each other the whole session. He was in the 1 seat and I was in the 2 seat. I was fairly impressed with his poker game. He is really trying to learn the game, and his mechanics are fairly sound. The first time I noticed this was when he corrected another player when the board read 7h7c8hJc2h when the banana said "I got a set", and turn up Kc7d. Gary said "That's not a set" and when Banana looked dumbfounded, he explained that that was three of a kind or trips. A set is "When you have a pocket pair and you get you third card on the board"...Damn....This pool player has read some books. Look at him go.

The hand that doubled me up the first time was when I had just told Gary, "Damn man, I haven't got a pocket pair all game"...look down at the 2 black aces. Schweeeeet. I make it $25.00 to go from the hi-jack seat after everyone else limped. Villain in seat 6 calls as does seat 8. Flop comes out Qs4s4c. Seat 6 fires out $45, and it folds around to me. Interesting...He calls $25.00 pf with a 4 in his hand...nah. He only has about $160.00 left, so I am wondering whether he will stack off here. I smooth call. Turn brings the 9h. He is very un-comfortable and slides his big stack in. I start to smile at him...I call knowing I am not getting away from the hand at this point. If he has me, oh well. The river brings the Qh. He starts to grab the rest of his chips to push them in, but drops 2 chips before they cross the line...at the same time I say, "I call". Now is the strange part. He still has about $55.00 in his hand and he holds the chips and looks at me. I smile and say, "Go ahead...put them in...I already called". He puts them in and tables AcKs.
Now, Gary and I start analysing the hand. Did he think he was good there? 2 pair with the ace kicker?

Second hand that doubled me up again was about 15 minutes later, when I looked down at 9s9h, and I call a $10.00 raise along with 5 others. Flop hits Ks4h7d. Check...I check...check o Slovakia around. Turn comes my sweetie....the 9c. I fire out $45.00 after it was checked to me, and the only player at my table with more chips than me goes in the tank. He comes out blazing with a raise of a hundo making it $145.00 to go. Folds around to me, and I jam of course...he insta calls and tables 4s4d. What does TJ always say..."Never try to slowplay those sets people".

Now to the good part of this blog that you all have been waiting for since my title. I am just going to spell it out here as I am getting pissed just typing this. I am typing this as a warning to all who get themselves involved in a Jackpot hand. Instantly...as fast as you can...get a copy of the verbiage that states the winning hands for the JP. The HR has 2 (two) jackpots, a Mini and a Major. The mini was at $3800.00 and the Major was at $38,000. The mini needs Aces over 10's beat. Julie and I decide to hit the Hard Rock as she has not been there before, and I hear that the games are soft...soft you say...yea...soft. I got in one of these games where I am in for $200.00 and everybody is friendly, and chatting...having fun. There isn't a serious player at the table except a dealer from Boomtown that was sucking down lots of crown. None will call a raise after the turn without the absolute nuts, so "Outlaw GeneD" comes out and I start stealing. I am at about $400.00 when the following hand came out.

I look down at QsQc, and raise it pf to $30.00. Seat #1 has $60.00 in front of him and he jams...I instacall. He table AcJh. Flop AsAd4d...turn Ah...river Kc...and the table explodes and rejoices. Everyone is happy...jumping around...you all know the drill. I am sitting to collect 50% of $3800.00 as the actual "Bad Beat". The manager comes around and collects all our driver licences...They gave me a hard time because I did not have my social security card with me (Who carries this on them). The dealer lays out the hand for the camera's. She counts all the cards. Places them all out so the Camera's can see...yada yada...yada. This goes on for $20 min. In te meantime Julis and I are feeling great. Thinking of where we are going to go eat...and so on. I walk over the Ruth's Chris to get the paper menu, and I am walking back to the table when I see the manager huddling over the table with some of the player s from our table throwing their hands up in the air in disgust. The first thing I think is right out of the Eugene Todd Bro segment of pokerroad radio, "Dude...this can't be good Bro". Sure enough she calls me over and points out what the JP flyer says..."The full-house hand must have an Ace in the hole". My heart drops...my emotions start to simmer. All of you who know me and are reading this are now thinking to yourselfs...Holyshit...what kind of loud...pissed off scene did GeneD throw. I know that is what your are thinking...the people that know me.

I think there are many of you that will be proud of me, and I picked up my chips (with the winnings)...and calmly cashed out and left.

There are people waiting to use the computer and the tourney starts soon...so this blog...will be continued as there were other F*+%#ed up things that happened in the 25 minutes or so when we thought we had won.

Your not anybody in America unless you're on the Camera. We learn about who we really are. Because what's the point of doing anything worthwhile if nobody's watching? And if people are watching, it makes you a better person" Nicole Kidman as Suzanne in "To Die For"

4 comments:

C.S. said...

Great thing is you came back to chop the tourney on Sunday. Well done. Took a bad beat at the HR and still go it done.

CC said...

Does the HR make both players play both hole cards? His Jack would not have played (4 aces and the king on board make his hand).

I don't like the fine print on that jackpot though. That's rough.

Goondingy said...

Hey...that SUCKED! They do have that ace in hand rule in MS. Sorry about that...but the jack would not have played either in the other players hand, so if it wasn't that it would have been the other.

I am so itching to get back to the felt ARGHHHH!!!

Like movies? Go check out Iron Man...VERY GOOD!

kickinwoman said...

even if your full house would have been good both of the cards in the other players hand did not play. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.You shouldn't be so down on the Hard Rocks' Poker Room, They have some of the best 1 2 NL on the coast and they do not charge a time rake.