Monday, August 04, 2008

Nice pot at Shorty's and other rants

Was heading to Lafayette yesterday, so I decided to stop in at Shorty's and see what was happening. I show up and had to wait a few minutes as the table was full. I was glad to see that they were playing a 5-5 game and not a 5-10 game. The room was actually fairly empty, and at one time they only had two 3-6-12 tables and that is unheard of at Shorty's. There were a couple of regulars there as Doc was in the 3 seat, Fred in 10 and Golf Tom in the 8 seat...and then there were these a few huge donkfish that were sitting there also...Oh yea...Rutt was in the 1 seat and DaveB (AKA southpawrounder)was in the 4 seat. The Donks were in the seat 5-6-7

The table was typical for Shorty's with alot of erratic play and pre-flop raises. I would say ...Correct me if I wrong here SPR ;-) ...you would see probably 85% of the hands were raised pre-flop with about 65% with $100.00 or more in the pot pre. $25.00 and $30.00 raises were par for the course and getting 5-6 callers was common place. I sit down with $300.00 and survey the stacks and the talent. Doc has a nice stack of over a grand, Davey is pumped and then I get "locked and loaded" on seat 5, 6 and 7. Golf Tom had a nice stack but Fred was running low and visibly frustrated. Rutt seemed about average. After about and hour the guy in the 6 seat, a Spanish guy that I am sure is an oilfield diver gets the LAG/action bullseye on the forehead. He is the one we want to get in hands with. He was making crazy calls and playing every hand and going for every draw in the book.

I burn through a hundo chasing a flush draw and trying to get in some pots cheap when I look down at A-Jo on the button. There are 5-6 limpers around to me when I announce, "Well...lets see if this can work for me" referencing the fact that everyone else was popping it pre, and I fire in a raise of $25.00 or $30.00...everybody calls. Flop comes out J-9 -brick. Everyone knuckles around to me and I ship in the rest of my chips, $150.00 or so as the pot was around that much at this point. Bullseye Boy goes in the tank. Now, I am hoping for a call. In a way, I would rather just take it down there, but I knew he had something like mid or bottom pair for him to tank like this. He would have snap-called with top pair...no doubt. I eventually ask him, "You got some of that flop" hoping to induce a call, and he flashes the 9s as he folds. I take it down and my stack is back up to around $325.00

I hover around that until I get my big hand, I look down at KK from mid position and bullseye boy UTG limps and the guy in the 7 seat makes it $25.00-$30.00 to go and gets 2 callers around to me and I re-pop it to make it $105.00 to go. Bullseye goes in the tank and calls back around the the original raiser who jams for another $130.00 or so. Everyone folds back around to me and of course I re-shove for the rest of my chips which was around $200.00 and bullseye goes in the tank. Now, I am sitting trying to figure out whether I want him to call or not here. I think I have seat 7 dominated, but this guys could have anything ...a weak Ace...something like 10-8 or J-9...hands that crack big pairs. I finally come to the conclusion that I want him to call as that was what I was here for...to get in a big pot with him and try to snap him off a bit. He does eventually call and I immediately ask seat 7, "You got Aces man"...He dejectedly shakes his head no and tables K-Qo. Someone asks me if I have Kings and I nod yes and table my cards. We are all waiting on bullseye boy and he finally tables his cards K-5c...WTF!!!! Thats right folks...thats the way they play out there at Shorty's...but you know what..."They were suited". Well the board bricks out every which way possible for both of them and GeneD says, "Ship it to the Colonel" and stacks up a huge pot. (southpawrounder...correct me if I missed something)

I just called the Isle of Capri in Lake Charles and found out that all their daily tournaments in the evening are re-but events...WTF??? Are these guys just stuck on re-buy events there? Buy-in is $15.00 with unlimited re-buys for the first 3 levels. I just don't feel like playing when for the first hour everybody with 2 cards with paint are going to open shove to try to get chips...nah...I'll Pass

I see that Stars do have their new interface out...I like it a little better. Funny, just like Monkey I seemed to have crushed them as SNG's soon as the update took affect...HHHmmmm. 2 first and 1 second over the weekend.

Wow...just checked...over 14,000 people on UB right now...Amazing...Hopefully half of them are in the play money side of things.

On to Movies...I watched this movie this weekend called "Lonesome Jim" with Casey Affleck and Liv Tyler...its was cool in cynical kind of way. It was one of those films that I got into but my wife could just sit there and think it sucked. The movie revolves around Jim who is a writer and is caught up in the "World is a shitty place to be" mentality of Hemingway and Burroughs. He actually has a whole wall with writers pics on it that all have committed suicide or wrote about "Chronic Dispair"...It was something to watch for all you intellectual types.

Jim: You have a girlfriend, Evil?
Evil: Nah. I use hookers. It's cheaper.
Casey Afflecks character Jim chatting with his Uncle Evil the pot dealer in "Lonesome Jim"

1 comment:

Southpawrounder said...

No you pretty much nailed it. I would still like to learn how to get kings and get 2 people to "stack off" w/ kq off nad K5 of clubs. You did forget about the funniest part of the hand, and that is how pissed the guy in the 10 seat was when the 3 hands were tabled, b/c he folded A4 of spades because all the kings were gone. I really think he would have been thrilled to call $350 if he could have gotten his cards back. Anyway g/l in lake charles, I'll be there on Wednesday as it is absolutely nuts there on wednesday's.