Monday, March 23, 2009

March Madness...Sunday Mill on Stars

I have been meaning to sit down and do a blog for several days now, but I just kept getting pulled away to do other things. I may have mentioned to some of you who I have discussed situations and hands with that I will "Blog about that hand"...well... I am not sure whether I will or not...sorry.

March Madness...I have a yearly MM pool where we get 16 people that all get together and and all put up a hundo in the pool. 16 ping pong balls with the numbers 1-16 are but in the box...and we all take turns sticking our arms in the box and pulling out a ball telling us what seed we get in that bracket...1 through 16. So after its all over, all 16 people have 4 teams in each major bracket....winner takes the entire $1600.00. I have won this puppy several times in the past 7 years. Once I had Syracuse as a longshot ...I think they were #4 that year and I was in with my buddy Troy (Side note...Wild Bill and I had just met several days before this and we had to go to training together in Pensacola in our new jobs...we watched this final together and celebrated)...then I won a couple of years ago when Florida won and I was 50-50 with my uncle. I couldn't make it that year to pull the balls, so My Uncle John went and picked 2 (Two) number 1's...with 1 of those being Florida.

We both made it to the ball pull this year, and we were trying to figure out who would pull...or who had the "Hot Hand". Uncle John pulled first and got #14. He insisted that I pull the 2nd ball just to see "Where were at with the luck factor"...GeneD pulls #3....Mizzou...good stuff as I heard several analyst call them a strong dark horse. My Uncle now insist that I pull again in the next round...Boooyaaaaa...#1 Pitt. We are pumped up now...we got something to sweat. Fourth round I again pull a #1...Tar Heels Baby!!!! (I was a little pulled watching them play LSU)

I played at Shorty's Wednesday night for the tourney, and this was the first time I had played there for the tourney in months...they added a couple of levels which is good. I met the guy that is staking me there so we can try to cut into my make-up. I get knocked our 18-19th...he gets knocked out not soon after. I had one hand where I felt I made a stupid...knuckle headed move and I went on tilt. I didn't lose a dime in the hand.

I was able to win my seat into the Stars Sunday Million in an $11.00 sat. I got knocked out on the following hand:

Please comment here...What did this guy have me on...pocket 6's and below to get into a flip? He thought I was going to shove with 12 BB's here with lighter than A-6o???? WTF???
Every hand I showed down once I got into "Must Jam" zone was A-J or better...He only had 24-25 BB's left...He calls off 1/3 of his stack with A-7o????

Suspicious...or was this just a bad play...the most he could pray for is a flip...I don't get it

PokerStars Game #26252458871: Tournament #147104125, $200+$15 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (250/500) - 2009/03/22 19:11:38 ETTable '147104125 497' 9-max Seat
#7 is the buttonSeat
1: fish_eat (9100 in chips)
Seat 2: aimar7179 (38175 in chips)
Seat 3: Cjones984 (6200 in chips)
Seat 4: userpkr (5725 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: xxCelticFCxx (21325 in chips)
Seat 6: rdcrsn (6900 in chips)
Seat 7: GCPGeneD (6325 in chips)
Seat 8: wpaman (14025 in chips)
Seat 9: yeamanyeaman (18400 in chips)
fish_eat: posts the ante 25
aimar7179: posts the ante 25
Cjones984: posts the ante 25
userpkr: posts the ante 25
xxCelticFCxx: posts the ante 25
rdcrsn: posts the ante 25
GCPGeneD: posts the ante 25
wpaman: posts the ante 25
yeamanyeaman: posts the ante 25
wpaman: posts small blind 250
yeamanyeaman: posts big blind 500
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to GCPGeneD [6d 6s]
fish_eat: folds
aimar7179: folds
Cjones984: folds
userpkr: folds
xxCelticFCxx: folds
rdcrsn: folds
GCPGeneD: raises 5800 to 6300 and is all-in
wpaman: folds
yeamanyeaman: calls 5800
*** FLOP *** [Ac 4c 2d]
*** TURN *** [Ac 4c 2d] [Jh]
*** RIVER *** [Ac 4c 2d Jh] [Ah]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
yeamanyeaman: shows [Ad 7c] (three of a kind, Aces)
GCPGeneD: shows [6d 6s] (two pair, Aces and Sixes)

"Don't let people stand in your way. They're just people. like you and me! Well, maybe not like you. I don't know if I have ever met anyone like you before" Marisa Tomei as Caroline in "Untamed Heart"

3 comments:

Reid said...

Gene - here's some feedback from your Sunday Million hand.

It's a close spot for the BB when you open shove your button. And he has ~36bbs not 25. If he perceives that you're a good player, then he's gonna think your button shoving range here (with consideration to your stack size) is pretty wide. And it should be.

He's not getting a great price (1.25:1), but A7o is not in bad shape against a button shoving range of 30% of hands. This range equates to all pairs, all Aces, all broadway combos, some random suited Kings, and a few other suited connectors. You should be open-shoving all these hands in that spot to take full advantage of your fold equity. ((when you shove and win the pot pre, you are increasing your stack by 15% which is a good result. so shoving a wide range is ok because your stack is big enough to fold out a lot of hands))

When he does call, assuming your range is close to the above-posted hands, then he is making a fine call equity-wise. It's thin, but it's correct. In large fields, a lot of players are pressing every small edge presented to them which is probably the reason he called.

GeneD said...

Thanks Man...Good Stuff....
I guess I was a little frustrated. There are just too many hands there where I would feel dominated

GeneD said...

Thanks Man...Good Stuff....
I guess I was a little frustrated. There are just too many hands there where I would feel dominated