Monday, November 06, 2006

Hand review from WSOP in 06

I was not able to play this weekend as I was spending time with my wife before heading to our Memphis office. While in Memphis, I will get to play alot since Tunica is a hop, skip and jump away. I did alright online this weekend playing in a 5-10 limit game on FCP. I have been playing mostly on FCP lately. I was able to take advantage of their WSOP promotion with the "Wear the name...share the fame" promo. I was able to pocket a little under $300 because Daniel N. did alright. My buddy Davey is the one that turned me on to the limit game on FCP, and it has proven to be pretty juicy. I added $215 to my online bankroll.

I want to take this post to discuss a hand I was in in the WSOP event 42. It revolves around playing flushes. I got reminded me of the hand when KW, a local player at Cypress Bayou, and I were talking about how many times you see people play medium pairs and draws when there is a flush draw on the board. I see it everyday at Shorty's. The guy is open ended on his straight draw and makes a huge call with 2 suited cards on the board. This is a recipe for disaster...but I digress...back to the hand.

I look down at A7c and smooth call a $125 small raise with 4 other players. I am on the button. The flop comes with 2 clubs on the board. original raiser bets again, and I again, smooth call as does the guy to my left. At this point the pot is getting nice sized. The turn comes the 5c. "Gin"...I have my flush, which at this point, is the nuts. Pot has about $1250 it at this point

Here is where the player to my left completely donkeys out, but ...I learned something from his play. Original raise checks to me. I am thinking to keep them both in so I just make a bet of double the existing pot. I bet $2200. Player to left immediately "Ships in" the rest of his chips which amounted to over $6000. I have him covered. Well, original raiser folds and I, of course, call. We turn over our cards and guy to me left shows K10c. He is stunned, "Hymming and Hawing" about a bad beat etc. Well, the river comes the 5h.

Of course this pairs the board, and it would have "Handcuffed" me from betting much more. So in hind site here, if player to my left with the K high flush just smooth calls the $2200, the board pairs and neither of us can bet, he takes a small beating and is still much in the tournament with around $4000.

Moral to the story...Never overplay your flushes as the board may save you in the end if the river pairs the board.

Instead, I bust the guy and he walks over to his buddy to tell his "Bad Beat" story

"Anybody that tells you money is the root of all evil doesn't F#@* *& have any"
Ben Afflecks character Jim in "Boiler Room"

No comments: