Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In Tunica... Running Bad...Playing Bad

I am in Tunica this week working out of our office in Memphis. Played last night and came out the gates strong, only to "crash and burn" as soon as the tournament started. I was out of the tournament in 45 minutes, and I played so bad I was ashamed of myself. I was actually free rlling the tourney as I picked up $160.00 before the tournament started. I was fired up for the tournament. I hadn't played a tourney in a while besides Dingers. I could'nt get anything going early, and got short stacked when I called down with pocket Queens on a board of A-J-9---9---7. I had the guy dead on a small pocket pair by the way the hand played out...He tables A-5.

6 hands later I have to muck a set of 7's when the board 4-suited on the turn...another $1000.00 down the tubes. So I get short Stacked early and pulled this brilliant play (I told myself I was not going to talk about any of the stupid hands I played but...hey...I deserve it).

I look down at Ah3h from the SB and there are 4 limpers to me...I limp and the BB joins the fray. Flop comes out QhQsJh. I bet out a pot size bet trying to take it down. BB raises and I look at the guy, and just didn't think that he had anything...I jam ...he insta calls and tables Q-J....GREAT!!!!...he even has some of my outs dead to me...The turn is the 9c nd the river is the 9h...GeneD is bounced in "Lunchbox" fashion...Stunned that I could play so bad. Oh well...

I plan on heading back to night and firing another bullet. I plan on playing in a tournament every night this week.

Comments:
--I want to say congrats to Clint Shaefer on a nice run at the Main Event. I can remember playing with Clint years ago when the poker room was where the Besh Steakhouse is at Harrah's.
--Congrats to Gabe Costner on his trip to Vegas...he really played well...across the board in all events and venues
--Good Luck to Monkey and have a safe trip home...I really enjoy your blogs. He really gives another perspective to us "Grinders". I could really relate to his post about the "1 hit wonders".

Other stuff:
--There is no more "The Grand" in Tunica....they finally officially changed the name to Harrha's...and moved the pokerrom back downstairs.
--The hotel ay the Goldstrike has/is being renovated and I was able to get one of the new rooms with the down comforter/Flat Screen...etc. Really nice. BTW the poker rate is still $35.00.
--The GoldSttrike is having abunch of tournaments this weekend. I will try to post a flyer in the next couple of days.

More tomorrow...

"ere is the deepest secret nobody knows. Here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide. And this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart... I carry your heart, I carry it in my heart" Heath Ledger as Dan reading from a book in the movie "Candy"

1 comment:

C.S. said...

Keep the faith Gene. Your reads will come back. I'm gonna hollar at you 2morrow.