Friday, August 10, 2007

Thursday Night Tournament at the IP

Played in the Thursday night tournament at the IP last night, and played great...until the final 2 tables. The tournament was a $60.00 buy-in with a $10.00 bonus token where you get $1000 in extra chips. Me and my buddy bmegan had some business down on the coast, so he accompanied me there. Again...the same faces with Mike McD, Ron from Slidell, Gretchen, Tommy T, Rip and JohnnyP. Me and my buddy bmegan got seated at the same table to start off with and I doubled up in the 8th hand where I flopped a set and the guy turned top 2 pair. Again..another lesson from my previous post I forgot to mention..."Never go busted early in a tournament with top 2 pair". Well, this guy didn't heed this lesson and doubled me up quick.

I made a stupid play where I donated $1000 making a move on a pot when the board came out 8c6h2d. I bet $500, and this Libyan guy that had been playing every hand calls. We are heads up. The turn brings the 8c. The guy gets this "Disgusted look on his face", and puts his cards out like he is fixing to fold. I fire another $500...and he "Dejectedly...and with much pain like he was sick" says "I guess I am going to go all-in. I bust out laughing as does several other people while I pitch my cards into the muck before the chips even left his fingers. It was the biggest...dumbest "I got the third 8 tell" that I have see in a long time. We all started to imitate him with that disgusted looking face every time we had to fold...It was funny.

Now to the hand that I played like chump. We were down to 2 tables with about 8 at each table when I am in the High Jack seat. I have built a solid image so far, and I have been in full "Unabomber Mode" with headphones, my favorite sunglasses , my new favorite poker hat and my hood. I was not talking to anyone, just sitting there focused on what was going on. I look down at KhQh. I have about $10,000 left and the blinds have gotten rather high. I think they were $800/$1600. I Jam trying to steal the blinds and the SB wakes up with pocket Queens. I brick out and that was it.

I spoke to Raceland Brian (AKA "Lusky" on the internet), and he agreed that I made a bad play. I should have tried to limp...or make it 3 times the blinds and if someone came over the top, I could have cut lose of the hand and still had some chips.

One cool thing that happened was Gretchen (She has long Black Hair and cocktails at Harrah's) sat on my right for several hours and we got to catch up as I had not seen her in awhile. We have been to many final tables together and she is really cool . She asked me what I was listening to, and when I explained that I was listening to "Poker Wire Radio", she had never heard of it. She has hung out with Gavin and them before in New Orleans. We swapped Ipods and I let her listen to the WSOP version with Eugene Todd (Hilarious) while I chilled to evanescent. She really got a kick out of it.

Look like we will have the "Gulf Coast Poker. Net Lodge" in Biloxi for the WPT Championship. We booked a kick ass place, and we are going to have 5-6 of us. We will have laptops and if we are not in a live game, we will be helping each other out with internet info. I plan on really getting back into playin on the net. Lusky has been running real sweet lately. I just have to get a couple of programs to track my play...and my opponents.

"To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf" Denzel Washington's Character Alonzo in "Training Day"

No comments: