Saturday, December 29, 2007

3 steps forward...1 backwards

I apologize for not blogging lately, but the holidays have me spending lots of time with the family and winding down for the year. I haven't done much, so there isn't much to talk about. It sucks when you run bad, and then it makes you start to play bad. I am not happy with how I have been playing, and I have to work on opening my game up some more. I think I have been playing too tight, and that builds frustration when the cards don't come your way.

I have been traveling to Shorty's lately to play in the 5-5 Nl game they have there, and the roller coaster ride continues. I played a 4 hour session each night for the past 3 nights, and I won the first 2 and lost last night. The game was good, and they had alot of the same characters such as Allen, Mustang Mike, Jared and even Tex showed up and was doing fairly well when I left last night. They had 3NL tables going, and the jackpot was up toi around $68,000.

The first night I had a score, and I came home pretty pumped booking an $800.00 winner. I was starting to think that the poker gods may give me some grace. I went back for the next night and immediately went down $300.00. I got back in for $300.00 to make me $600.00 deep in the game, and lost half of that on the 5th hand from there. I grinded...and grinded. No big pots, just small to medium solid pots. I was able to cash out with $775.00 for a small win...but a win none the less. Last night I went back, and was really feeling good even though I felt I was pushing my luck. I probably should have taken a couple of days off and play online, but I wanted to play my rush if thats what it was...it wasn't. I dropped $200.00 where I mad a completely stupid call for my last $75.00 with A7 on a flop of 3-3-A(Don't remember the suits)...check to me I bet out and the villain smooth calls. turn dumps a 7 on the board. Villain check-raises me all-in...and I call like an idiot while the villain roles 3-6...the river bricks.

Those are the kind of plays I was making. I was trying to force things to happen and wound up spewing chips. The thing that bothered me was the hands I dumped. In mid-position I dumped K-9o to a $20.00 raise. 5 people went to the flop of K-K-9...ouch. I dumped 10-9s (my favorite hand) in another huge pre-flop pot...the dealer dumps 10-10-9 on the board...F^%$ Me!!! I should have gotten up and left. I pulled out $200.00 more and donked that off and came home.

I know some of you are saying, "Damn Man...Whats wrong with this guy...$800+$175 =$975.00 -$400...Damn...he is a $575.00 winner". Its just that I know I can play better than I have been lately. Scared Money is Dead Money. I also need to work on keeping the pots proportional...Don't play big pots unless you have the goods.

Oh yea... I want to give a shout out to a couple of guys. One is a local handyman from Delcame. I walked in to shorty's with my GCP hoodie on, and this guy I never met before calls out, "Hey GeneD...How's it going". He was a local guy that has been reading the site/blogs and wanted to tell me how much he liked the site. The 2nd person is a local player named Jared. We keep finding ourselves sitting next to each other at the tables, and I really like the guy. He has a solid game, a cool job and a baby girl he is proud of..."Keep it real brother!!!"

I was given the boxset for the first season of HBO's "The Wire", and It has me hooked...this is one badass show...check it out

"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But, the game's out there, and it's play or get played. Its that simple" Michael Williams as Omar in "The Wire"

1 comment:

Reid said...

Gene - you're right. The Wire is sick!! Like you, it took me awhile to start watching it. But once I started, I was hooked. Amazingly, I soon realized it was much better than The Sopranos (which I loved). Just wait until you get into seasons 2-4. Season 5, the final season, starts on HBO next week.