Monday, June 11, 2007

Back Home from the WSOP

Well people, I am back home and back to the grind of work. My wife and I did absolutely nothing yesterday. All we did was lay on the couch and watch movies. I kind of felt like I was detoxing from all the energy of Las Vegas and the WSOP. There is so much energy and action there that it just consumes you. There is nothing else like it.



As you guys know, I free-rolled into the WSOP 6 handed event #12 which had a $1500.00 buy-in. There were over 1400 people in the event. I felt really good going into the event after my 3rd place finish in the Binion's Poker Classic . I really like the 6 handed format, and I really got alot of experience in the Binion's event playing 6 handed. I started out strong, and picked up several pots early. I was in the 6 seat, and there was David "The Dragon" Pham in 4, and Cliff "Johnny Bax" Josephy in the 1 seat. Pham got knocked out after about 30-40 minutes. My buddy "Let's Poker" Martin happen to be at the table next to me with Amnon Fillippi. After the first break, I was moved to a table with Andy Bloch 2 to my right. This was a good spot for him. He was really a nice guy, and I joked with him that I had the episode of the "The Circuit" with him on it playing in my Ipod. After the 2nd dinner break I ran into a hand that I will discuss here. I think I played it bad.



Button is in the one seat, and I am in the 3 seat with antes/blimds at 50/150/300 (i think). I look down at pocket 8's and make standard 3 times raise. Internet guy to my left in the 4 seat hesitates, then smooth calls. All else folds. Flop come Qc7d3s. I make it 2200 to go. Internet guy goes in the tank. Finally smooth calls. Turn comes the Ah. I go in the tank, and I know what I should do...Jam it. I can feel the guy is spooked. I did not like the 2200 call though. I check very hesitantly...he does the same. River card comes a Jd...I know I am now in trouble. I go in the tank thinking I have 2 plays here...Jam it...and give away my tournament with a call...or check and loose what little fold equity I have left...basically giving up. I don't think I can win without betting. I know he does not have me on a straight draw with K-10. I check. He sighs a sigh of relief and says, "Man, I did not want to be in that hand and I know you didn't either. I know I should bet here as a value, but I don't think you would call. This hand was the spookiest so far of my tournament and I don't know what I would have down if you jammed after the turn", and he proceeds to lay out pocket J's so we all could see. It was tough to see, but it did not cripple me. I still had some chips to play with. I got moved to a table with Eric Siedel 2 to my left. He has double the chips I have. I get down to about 2600 is chips with the antes/blinds at 75/200/400 when the guy directly to my left stands up and walks away from the table. So when the blinds get to me I have a pass on the small blind and then I look down on the button at KJs. Siedel is in the BB, so I jam when it comes to me on the button, He smiles and says something like "I wish you wouldn't have done that"...anyway...he has pocket Q's and the board bricks out for me again...right before dinner break. They were paying 126 and the tournament directors estimated that there were around 250 people left out of over 1400. There you have it.

Comments on the pros I played with:
David ...real quite, did not say much
Andy and Eric...nice guys who played their image at the table very well.
Cliff...Great guy...BS'd with us the whole time. Cracked jokes with the dealers. very nice guy.
I think Jared Hamby came by our table at some point and bs'd with him

If you guys want to see me at the table, I am going to try to cut and paste the link from the WSOP photo store

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=worldseriesofpoker&tcount=13&scount=13&gallery_id=717456&image_id=12

I will post a pick of me at the final table at Binion's when I get a chance. I will try to post some more about my experience later. I have to go now...and "pry" my bankroll out of my wifes hands so I can head to Tunica.

"Bobbie sue, whoa, whoa, she slipped away
Billy joe caught up to her the very next day
They got the money, hey...You know they got away
They headed down south and theyre still running today"
Steve Miller's "Take the money and run"

13 comments:

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

That link doesnt work Gene. I think I would have tried check raising after the flop if you felt the flop didnt hit your opponent. If he doesnt bet the flop I probably check out and not bleed any more chips with the Ace out there.

I hope you are not giving these pros too much respect Gene. I realize that you think it is cool to be playing with these cats but you are there to kick thier ass not kiss it. Im all for being a little chummy at the table but these guys use their strong table image and status to push you around. Im not saying that is what you did ,only you know if you played as tough as you did at Binions. You have to remember who you are. Say to yourself " Im GeneD and I am one BMF" or " This is my time to shine, bitches!" To get to that next level you gotta be hungry. Some of these pros come up to to a table like they are gods. Take Josh Arieh for example. He comes to my table midway thru a tournament last year expecting to run it over. I raise from the button with 54 spades.He calls the flop is 9c Qs 2d. He leads out,I reraise, he re-reaises. A little less than half his stack in the pot. I move all in he talks some shit and folds showing K8 saying he got caught running into the nuts. I said "No but I am nuts" and flip over the bluff while going "Booya!" and did my little shimmy shake dance.

Platinum Slim are you out there??

"I came here to do two things, kick ass and chew bubblegum....and im all out of bubblegum!" Roddy Rod Piper - some 80s sci fi movie

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

Correction - Rowdy Rod Piper

"The funny thing about running your car off a cliff, I bet your still hitting those brakes."

Jack Handey

C.S. said...

I heard about a big hand between Gene and Andy Bloch that got Gene a lot of respect at the table.

C.S. said...

"Look at what's happened to me.
I can't believe it myself.
Suddenly I'm on top of the world.
It should have been somebody else.
Believe it or not,
I'm walking on air,
I never thought I could feel so free,
Flying away on a wing and a prayer,
Who could it be?
...Believe it or not,
It's just me."

Phil Hellmuth after winning his 11th bracelet. Originally; Larry Carlton: Theme to Greatest American Hero, also popularized by famous Ralph Nader campaign commercial in which he dressed in drag and ogled consumer reports automotive issues. Side note: Greg Raymer for Vice-President.

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

Ok link works now ,saw pics. Lookin good there GeneD, chair turned backwards, 80s Top Gun shades, nice image. Would like to get a 5x7.

Are any of those photos "Lets Poker"? You know its the WSOP cause everyone is wearing shades, except Johnny Bax, These internet guys just dont get it. I saw that dealer on Welcome Back Kotter before.

Iceman - "Your everyones problem cause your unsafe. I dont like you cause your dangerous."

Maverick - "Thats right Iceman...I am dangerous." - Top Gun

C.S. said...

http://sleepwiththefishesdineonthewhales.blogspot.com/index.html

C.S. said...

Tired of contributing to your blog Geno. I'm firing up my old failed one. Follow the link above. Cut and paste it fools...

C.S. said...

"Coughlin's law: never tell tales about a woman. No matter how far away she is, she'll always hear you."

-Tom Cruise epic Cocktail.

bubble boy said...

First of all i want to tell all my fans who have been following my blog that i am sorry i haven't posted in a few days, I have been busy in vegas all week and haven't had time to post on my blog, but i am taking today off so here I am, How is poker treating everyone these days? If anybody has any good stories feel free to post them on my blog I don't mind. GeneD, sounds like you had a good run in Vegas, nothing wrong with taking down $4300, to bad about the six-handed event, sounds like you gave it a run though, if a King hits on the flop u might have made anothor cash.

I hit the link and boy i can see how you get your strong table image, If i didn't know any better i would think u were a pro and somebody to be reckon with. Nice shades, (I use to watch a show called "CHIPS" when i was younger) and you look a little like Puncharella and John Baker with those shades except they rides police bikes and you play poker. Besides that i would not know the differene.

Nice hat, and i asssume you had the I-pod, nice chip stack, and like the way the chair is backwards, a little different but nice effect, i like it.

I wish you would have shown up for dinner Saturday night at Delmonico, it was awesome. I had a Filet mignon, with blue cheese dressing, topped with lump crab meat and a mushroom sauce, talk about want to slap your momma. Then the waiter asked me about dessert and I told him know thanks, that is what she is far as i pointed across the table to the hot little snatch I had met a few hours earlier. But first I went to my favorite Cigar place in Vegas " Casa Fuente" I smoked my favorite cuban cigar, went take a shot of brandy, ( not hawbaker, the whiskey) then headed back to my suite at the Venetian Hotel where i smoked something else if you get my drift. Sweet girl, alittle loud, but still a sweet girl none the less.

What is the deal with Tunica GeneD? Pleasure or buisness? Or a little of both? Good luck one day someone you know will hit it big and it could be you!

Like Captainstacks said Gene don't get caught up respecting those pros to much. They are just like you and me. They put their pants on the same way and they are dealt two cards just like us. The only difference is they get a little more TV exposure. But I heard They are making a Movie about the tv show "CHIPS" so that might equal out to if you can get get lucky and get a casting call as a stunt double or something? Stranger things have happen.

" Clark save that turkey neck for me"
Cousin Eddie.... Vegas Vacation

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

Hey BB , call me at the number I posted on your blog ASAP. Will be arriving in Sin City Thursday. It will be nice if we both have large stacks going into our dinner at Prime Friday night. I cant wait to see how you kick it. When the time is right I got a special girl at the Spearmint Rhino in the VIP room for ya. (dont worry its not Brandi,she wont be back working till after the WSOP). HOLLA!!!!!

bubble boy said...

good deal, can't wait to hook up and take over sin city. What time is your flight into vegas thursday? If you get here earlier enough let's hook up for lunch at burger king, I know it sounds stupid but believe me it will do wonders for your poker game, if not i'll see you at Prime friday.
I never have been to the Spearmint Rhino, but i have heard some stories. Give me a heads up what night you want to go because i want to make sure i bring my "A" game if you know what i mean

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

I wont arrive till Thurs. night. But I will have a Double Whopper because now I am superstitious. Will call you when I get to Vegas. Peace Out!

"Tequila,whats that..some kind of beer?"

"See, eets like beeer" -The Three Amigos

GeneD said...

BB leave me the link to your Blog. It is ashamed that we are pals and I don't even know where your blog is